First playable

 Drift Racing

 https://youtu.be/xm-kEylZkoE

 

 Above is a video link to game play footage of my First Playable game.

Last week when i left off i had completed my games prototype where i gathered all my assets and tracks that i had found on the assets store and put them to use. I ran into one problem straight away and that was with the collision between the track/map and the car. i quickly realized i needed a solution so i decided to go ahead and start building my own track by using "Terrain" in Unity. 

Using the Terrain feature i was able to create my own track and it worked so much better with the vehicle. 

I also like using the terrain feature because it adds my own personal touch and i really enjoy creating maps! I think if i have enough time i will create three separate tracks for my game so the player will have a bit of choice! 

Some issues i ran into this week were mostly because my computer is so outdated that when i was creating this it was quite a slow process, because i was using so many tree's and barriers when i add a certain amount it will take 10-15 minutes until they are fully loaded in and during those minutes my computer is unbearable to use. 

Below i attached an image of what i think is making my computer lag, when i add all of the assests into a folder it will start "baking" which i assume is like rendering. 

I am currently saving up for a better pc so hopefully later down the line i wont run into this problem.



below i will show some progress of my race track coming together. 

Placed my terrain to build the race track on.

Race track under construction

Finished layout for the first track.

Adding vegetation to give the track some lie.


The finish line that i created on my first track.

Some of the barrier assets that i am using.

A birds eye view of my first race track.


Now that i have everything in place and everything is working i just have a few features i need to add for my game to be finished.

I'm going to add some obstacles onto the track so the player will have to avoid them or it will result in a crash, a speed-o-meter so the player knows how fast they are traveling, a countdown at the start of the race, Time Attack game mode and a few others if i manage to have time to get all listed above done. 

I am really starting to see my game come together and its a really fun process, overall i am delighted with how its going so far. 

Now back to unity to do more coding..


Comments

  1. Hey Darragh! Just even by looking at your images you can already see that you’ve got the hang of Unity! Your whole design looks so cool. I’d say that’s so frustrating how slow your computer is but fair play to you for saving to get a new one, there was a computer scheme with the college but pitty its finished now… even my laptop is literally brand new and im still having problems with the Unity haha
    The game itself sounds so good, it looks so professional, I think having obstacles in the way would also be such a good idea. Wish you all the best with the module and completing you game

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Darragh, Your game seems to be coming along nicely! Well done. I can imagine the frustration with your computer but fair play sticking with it and not giving up out of frustration. Your game looks really good and you can see the effort you have put into it. Hope the rest of your gaming development experience goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Darragh, Just after reading your blog right there and your game is look pretty cool from what I can see in the screenshots provided pretty detailed with all those trees and greens. It is good to see that you are saving up to get a new computer maybe with the €250 coming you can get it sooner than later. Then again Unity and my laptop are not getting along either they have an on and off relationship haha. Good luck managing with the state you are in now keep up the work.
    -Tochi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts